The L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s Senior Services department is intended to support and enrich the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people 50 years and older, with an overarching goal successful aging in place. In this effort, the department provides a broad array of social, educational and support services to LGBT seniors and Baby Boomers, all of which are free or low-cost.
Since so many LGBT older adults remain or are forced back into the closet, often feeling isolated, depressed and lonely, Seniors Services provides a safe and nurturing environment for this often invisible, fragile, and neglected part of our community.
In addition to helping LGBT seniors and boomers build community and support networks, we also provide one-on-one case management to those in need of support and resources. Most often, LGBT seniors and boomers seek case management services and referrals related to affordable housing, benefits, home health assistance, bereavement, isolation and loneliness, as well as mental health and legal issues.
Offering more than 70 activities, events, classes, and groups each month, the department currently serves more than 1,000 seniors and boomers each year.
Service Providers Training
Senior Services also offers training for local health and human service agencies and providers to ensure that LGBT older adults receive quality care in mainstream institutions.
To schedule a training, please call
323-860-7339 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Services and Activities include:
- Health & wellness activities (exercise, stretching & conditioning, women’s exercise)
- Enrichment classes (computer, writing, art, Mahjong, dancing, acting, photography, etc.)
- Monthly dinners & social networking opportunities
- Cultural excursions (theater, opera, museums, etc.)
- Educational seminars & workshops
- Intergenerational programming:
- Senior-Youth Photo Project
- Forever Young Chorale
- Senior-Youth Dinners and Field Trips
- Support groups (men’s, women’s, grief & loss, LGBT caregivers, men’s in-depth issues)
- Annual special events:
- Senior Prom
- Holiday Party
- Arts & Crafts Fair
- Women’s-Only Activities (Lesbians 50+)
- Men’s-Only Activities
- San Fernando Valley group
- Grupo en Espanol Social y de Apollo LGBT 50+
- Case management support
- Affordable housing (Affordable Housing Triangle Square Interest Form )
To find out more about our services and to be added to our email or mailing list, please contact:
323-860-7322 or email@example.com
Michael Wolfson, Assistant
Senior Services Staff
Phone: 323-860-7322 firstname.lastname@example.org
Julia Wallace, Case Manager
Phone: 323-860-7395 email@example.com
Arlene Rodriguez, Activities Coordinator
Phone: 323-860-7359 firstname.lastname@example.org
Yuisa Gimeno, Comunidad Latina Specialist
Phone: 323-860-7369 email@example.com
Joe Kuhlmann, Activities Coordinator
Phone: 323-860-7367 firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathleen Sullivan, Director
Phone: 323-860-7397 email@example.com
The L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Senior Services department welcomes all seniors regardless of financial need, sexual orientation or gender identity. No one will be denied services.